Denhom Coates dates back to 1905, when John Denholm - one of the founding brothers of J. & J. Denholm - and London shipbroker Mr. A. P. Pond, formed Denholm, Pond & Company. When Mr. Pond retired he was replaced by Herbert Coates and the company was renamed Denholm Coates & Company.
Denholm Coates is a subsidiary of J. & J. Denholm Ltd, which was founded in 1866 when James Denholm set up in business as a factor and land agent. He soon branched out into ships agency and shipbroking. In 1869 James was joined by his younger brother John and J. & J. Denholm was formed.
Today, The Denholm Group is still controlled by John’s descendants. The businesses of the Group are in the shipping, logistics, seafoods and industrial services sectors, operating from 50 offices and employing over 1,000 people.